Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How... inappropriate!

A couple of friends and I took our kids over to Gymbo Fiestas in Santa Ana this morning for some play time. They tend to get restless this time of year (rainy season). Anyhoo. I was reminded of how the sexualization of children (especially girls, but boys are not immune) begins at the very beginning in Costa Rica (and probably most of Latin America, though I haven't lived anywhere else to make that judgement) -- girls get their ears pierced, so, like, it's obvious they are girls, boys just do not have long hair (mine does, and even though he's 100% boy, dresses like a boy, acts like a boy, he still gets called "ella" all the time by strangers; oddly, though, esposo, who also has long hair, is never mistaken for a woman), the toy aisles are very obviously laid out to show which are boy toys and which are girl toys. It's pretty gross, really, if you ask me.

So they play music in Gymbo, and this morning it was some very, very strange remakes of songs such as "YMCA" and "La Bomba" (the reggaeton song, not "La Bamba" by Ritchie Valens!) sung by kids. Weird, right? I have to say, hearing a chorus of children singing "La Bomba" was just a bit disturbing. Here's a video of the original; what would you think if you had heard kids singing this song? Am I overreacting? I should be used to this by now? Yikes.


2 comments:

  1. See what you missed out on? I *know* you'll be going to Gymbo with us next time!

    ReplyDelete