Monday, March 10, 2008

A damn fine falafel

Who doesn't love a good falafel? If you do, too, head over to Little Israel in the Plaza Los Laureles shopping center in Escazu (at least I think it's Plaza Los Laureles; at any rate, it's the one where the Spoon is, on the back road from Escazu to Santa Ana). Little Israel is run by a woman named Rona, who is just about as nice as can be (and totally reminds me of my grandma!). She gave son a candy necklace for Valentine's Day and he, being three, wants one every time we go in. Besides having all things kosher and other yummy Middle Eastern foods that are hard to find in Costa Rica, she has a little deli in the back where she makes things like falafel sandwiches. The pitas -- also made by Rona's company (which, to be fair, she runs with her husband) -- are stuffed with falafel balls, hummus and cabbage salad. O. M. G. They are so good. So good. And only 2,000 (which is about $4 US). I have never been able to eat an entire sandwich in one sitting, son only has a few bites before he proclaims himself full, but esposo, of course, can eat a whole sandwich and then start working on mine. And? She has giant jars of kosher dill pickles. So if you're hungry and in the neighborhood, head over to Little Israel and have a falafel and a pickle. And let me know what you think!



Digg!

10 comments:

  1. I am quirky tagging you here. Because you are one of the two bloggers I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I was supposed to link back so you can see the rules. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carp, girlfriend! I only know two bloggers besides you, and one of them is just getting her new blog going! Ooh, wait... I could tag some quilty bloggers over at Serial Quilters!

    I do dream in color. :-) Sometimes I remember them. Hate golf, though. Unless it's mini golf.

    Now what do you think of the falafel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me want to have one. I haven't eaten a falafel in years, even though there is a pretty good place on Beach St.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Falafel!!!!!!
    Thanks!!!!

    Hey- is there a way to contact you directly with a question in mind??rite1lite@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in Escazu today and went over to get a falafel sandwich. They were closed, but changing over for Passover. I bought some Baklava from them. They sprinkled it with honey and lemon juice....the best!!!

    On Friday, get their bagels, from their bakery in Heredia...I wish I knew its name...it rises...not like Bagelmen's

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bagels are really good, as are the fresh pitas. If you ask nicely, you can even pre-order salt bagels (which I have found no where else in CR so far).

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi do you have the phone number? looking for an ingredient and wanted to call to see if they have it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angie,
    The card I have has this #: 2228-9775. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!!! great got my ingredient!!!!

    ReplyDelete