Sunday, March 23, 2008

Magic in La Garita

So today is Easter Sunday, and son and I were bored, so we decided to drive over to Atenas. Boy, if I thought Grecia was boring, Atenas is at least twice so. We were looking for a place called Kay's Gringo Postres, but didn't find it, so we basically turned around to go back home not five minutes after we arrived in lovely downtown Atenas. On the way back, I decided to stop at a place called Magic's Motown. They used to have a place in Santa Ana, and I guess moved over to La Garita, which is just off the highway going toward Atenas. I love Motown, and I figured any place that played Motown is good in my book, even though they serve 108 different flavors of chicken wings (yeah, I'm not even going there!). I was expecting, with a name like Magic, to find a big soul brother behind the counter, but nope, just three white people. I am assuming one of them was Magic himself. Well I guess white people can have soul, too... Since it was Easter, they weren't serving their usual menu, and their Easter menu was all meaty, so we just ordered a couple of baskets of fries and a Coke for me, an iced tea for the boy. Let me tell you, though, those fries were the best I've ever had in Costa Rica. Hands down. In fact they are some of the best fries I've ever had ever. Big thick things with the skins still on. O M G. So good. And it was a damn big basket of fries. About halfway through I thought, I cannot finish this, but you know how it goes, they're so good and you keep picking and picking at them until lo and behold the basket is gone. Damn fine fries. And nice people. And even some Motown music, which down here is about as rare as country music or big band. I'm sure we'll be back.

P.S. Yesterday I wrote "La Guacima" where I meant to say "La Garita." Blame it on a cold I've been fighting with.

Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment