Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hello! And welcome to the show...

Some people might ask, Why, for the love of God, have you gone and jumped on the blogging bandwagon? Well, sit back and I'll tell ya...

I see a lot of misinformation here and there, quite often put out by people who have their own interests at heart and what I sometimes see is not necessarily entirely true. A couple of examples? A website that claims there are "no water probems in Escazú." Someone else who says "there is crime everwhere in the world," and goes so far as to blame the victim for being a victim of crime. Admittedly, everything you'll get here is from my point of view, and I'll try to be as objective as possible, which, of course, isn't wholly possible, no matter who's doing the writing. :-)

There are things about Costa Rica that drive me right up a wall: bureaucracy, bad roads (when, with the amount of money that we're paying in license fees, should not be a problem, but that goes into the next one), corrupt politicians, fat women wearing clothes entirely too small for them, men who haven't a clue about how to check out a woman discreetly, the way animals are treated, banking, bad drivers, living behind bars... the list goes on, and you'll get an eyeful from me!

Of course, there are a few things I absolutely love about Costa Rica: nature and wildlife, street dogs (a bunch of them have found a permanent home with us), my Tico husband and son, the price of food and housing, being able to keep chickens in my backyard. Overall, after 6 years here, I'm ready to leave Costa Rica. For me, personally, the bad and the ugly outweigh the good at this point in my life.

For the record, I am not trying to scare off anyone from Costa Rica. This is just my own reality bite -- sometimes things are great here, sometimes they suck. Either way, I'm not holding back.