Sunday, September 02, 2007

Jane, you can't be serious

Don't you just hate it when someone writes about something they really don't know much about, and come off sounding like an expert on the subject? I bet I do it all the time. And I read this article, which showed up in the news bar below right, leading me to believe Jane may participate in said activity herself every now and then. Let's clear up a few misconceptions in the article, shall we?

On clothing: Jane says, "For instance, sighting a man wearing a tie is rare no matter what the venue..." and further says, "Women with plunging necklines apparently don't go out in public. Revealing clothing is just not appropriate in this country's buttoned-up work place." (I guess she's never met me!) Where is she getting this information? Did she go directly from her hotel to some company, and back to her hotel? Because believe you me, I see plenty of men wearing ties, and plenty of women wearing sexy tops that show off their boobies. Plenty. Even in my small town of BFE. And particularly in San Jose, the country's largest city.

On dining: "One major faux pas to avoid should you become the guest at a Costa Rican home: Taking along someone who is not invited. If you do ask a counterpart to join you without first checking with your host, don't be surprised if that extra person is turned away at the door." This is simply not true. Costa Ricans often bring a friend to dinner without asking you, and if you bring a friend/family member with you to dinner at their house, it is almost expected. Costa Ricans are far, far too polite to turn anyone away. I mean, has she seen that happen? I've lived here for seven years and I've never heard of such a thing happening, let alone seen it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More: "Expect to dine early and expect to leave shortly after eating..." Oh yeah, the old "dine-and-dash" is alive and well in Costa Rica! Any dinner I've ever been to has run late, and you almost always stay around for an hour at the minimum to have drinks and relax. Dinner here can be an event lasting four to five hours. When I've hosted a dinner, people show up late (and often with friends!), enjoy themselves, and quite often stay late. That's quite the norm.

Maybe Jane is having business dinners with the top execs at Intel or something. She's certainly not having dinner with people I know, who do, in fact, include female lawyers as she's cited in her article. Sigh. Anyway.

I saw an episode of Food Network's Unwrapped once where they said Costa Ricans eat coconut on their pizza. No. Costa Ricans do not. I've eaten pizza all over this country and I have never seen coconut on a single pizza or pizza menu, for that matter. Where do they get this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment