Friday, March 13, 2009

The people in your neighborhood

If you've ever driven, or more accurately, sat in traffic in Escazu, you might have seen the mentally-challenged bald guy who hands out flowers at various intersections. I find him friendly and he never fails to bring a smile to my face. It could be from living a few years in Santa Cruz, where we had our very own brand of crazy, that he doesn't scare me like he seems to do to some people. Sometimes I miss the Santa Cruz crazies. I'm pretty sure he gets the flowers for free somewhere, but I always give him a few coins anyway.

Well anyway, the other day we were driving through Escazu sitting in Escazu traffic and I see the fella up ahead at the light, trying to give these rather beautiful bouquets of lilies to various drivers but having no luck (and I should mention that he never asks for a handout for them, ever. But I figure he probably doesn't have a job and could use the money so I give him some anyway). The light turned green, we slowly moved forward, and as my A/C is on the fritz at the moment, I had my window down. Suddenly he was there, throwing the lilies in the car at me! I was a little taken aback, but man, they smelled so good, so I dug out a few coins and handed them to him. Did I mention how much I like this guy?

Acosted with a bunch of flowers. Asi es Costa Rica!

No comments:

Post a Comment