Saturday, October 20, 2007

This'll gross you out

I removed one of these disgusting things from our dog Bonny today:


Ewwww....


Doesn't look familiar? It's a lovely botfly larvae, which is laid as an egg by mosquitoes and then hatches under the skin. Believe it or not, this is actually the third botfly larvae (or torsalo, as they are known in Costa Rica) that I've removed from a dog, the first one was on Isabella, and the second one was on Muneca, a dog that lived at a house we rented. I first noticed the bump on Bonny's leg a few days ago, and though I tried squeezing the botfly larvae out then, it was too small. I am not going to describe how to get a botfly larvae out of the skin, but let me just say, it is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. If you want to read more about it, this site has a lot of "great" information. Please be sure to scroll down and read about the guy who got bitten by a botfly in his scrotum, right here in Costa Rica!

No comments:

Post a Comment