Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

I've never been big on Father's Day. I didn't grow up knowing my father, so the day never really meant that much to me. Since son was born, I've at least said "Happy Father's Day" to esposo, but I'm afraid I don't go all out on gifts and such. After today, though, I think that will change.

Every Sunday I read PostSecret. And today I saw one that I could have written myself:


It made me think of my own Grandpa, or Pa as we all called him. He was tall as a tree, and gentle and quiet. He was a farmer who taught my grandmother how to quilt. Though I had two cousins, I think he loved me the most. He was a man I loved dearly, and truly, he was my Dad, I just didn't realize it until I had my own son. I, being a kid, thought he'd be around forever, and I was devastated when he passed away when I was 12. I still think about him, and wish he could have been around to see me graduate from college, walk me down the aisle at my wedding, hold my son after he was born. We gave our son my grandfather's name as his middle name to honor his memory. The truth is, I never missed my biological father at all, and I think it was largely due to the fact that I had a dad, my grandfather. I wish I could have told him all of this when he was alive. I wish we had had more time together. And I hope that wherever he is, he's smiling on us, and knows how much I love him, how much he meant to me. Thank you, Pa, for everything you gave me. I hope you are proud of me, as only a father can be. Happy Father's Day. I love you.

For esposo, thank you for being the kind of father your own never was. I know I don't say it every day, but you are awesome. And for all of you great dads out there, thank you.

Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment