Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More wild wildlife

Here's what I saw sitting on my back fence last night:


While barn owls are the most common owls in the Americas, it was still the first time in my life I've ever seen one close up (this was like five feet away from the back door). Of course, it was son with his eagle eyes that saw the owl first: "Mommy, what is that?" "What is what?" "That thing on the fence... what is it?" (It had its back to us, so all I saw was a big white mass.) "Huh, I don't know... (upon closer inspection) OMG, it's an owl!"

It turned its head to us, checked us out staring at it, blinked a couple of times, and flew off into the night to resume its hunting. I take back what I said about living on the edge of a valley. Benefits like these definitely outweigh the possibility of the house being struck by lightning.

Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment